Thursday, June 7, 2012

More on Math Work Stations

So just in case my post from yesterday about all the math storage/set up ideas, weren't enough, I have even more for you.  You're welcome :).  The Clutter-Free Classroom (amazing blog...just in case you haven't visited) featured lots of great ideas.  You'll have to visit her site to see for yourself though!
One of the ideas that was featured was this from Here We Go Loopty Loo.  I thought I would bring it up so I could explain why you might see the word "BUILD" around some teachers' math area.  It is an acronym for:
B - Buddy Games
U - Using Manipulatives
I - Independent Working/Reading
L - Learning About Numbers
D - Doing Math

If you would like to download some BUILD cards, check out Adventures In Teaching.  I love the BUILD check in sheet offered at the bottom of the post.  It looks like the perfect way to keep track of students during this time!!  I even love this second post she offered with more tips on how she runs her math.  Very helpful tips!
Here's a look into yet another classroom and another set up for math stations.  This one comes from A Differentiated Kindergarten.  Within this post, I love how she broke down how to set things up and how she made math stations work for her.  Also I love her color coded system of breaking kids into groups based on their skill levels/readiness.  Check it out.

And in case you're wondering how you're going to tackle Math Stations in your classroom, take a look at Mrs. Ricca's Kindergarten for this FREE printable of expectations.
Peterson's Pad also had a chart like the one above.  It isn't one you can download, but at least it shows you another version of the chart so you can create your own set of expectations.  She also has lots of great tips and suggestions!  Here's a link to some of the games she uses.  They look like tons of fun!!
Wanting to get started somewhere?  Check out Kids Count 1234 for tons of great games, ideas and free printables!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the sign describing what it should look and sound like.

Sheree Peterson said...

Thanks for the shout out Allison!
Petersons-Pad

Marsha McGuire said...

So glad you found my post helpful.
Marsha
A Differentiated Kindergarten

cardelean said...

I just wanted to let you know that I noticed that you have an article about place value books that I wrote on your blog. I wanted to thank you for sharing it with your readers. I hope that they find it helpful. I have also subscribed to your blog. It seems like you have some fantastic ideas here and I'm always looking for some new ones for my classroom!

Office Spaces said...

Math may not be an easy subject but it can be worked on easily in a comfortable and inspiring space. Awesome work station you have here.