Friday, March 6, 2009

Dr. Seuss Dress Up Day

To celebrate the last day of Dr. Seuss week, the kids were asked to dress up as a character from one of Dr. Seuss's many books. I tried to convince my 9 year old daughter to be Cindy Lou (How the Grinch Stole Christmas), since she already had a red dress.

My daughter, on the other hand, thought it wasn't original enough and wanted to be someone else. (By the way, to get Cindy Lou's hair, click HERE).  Since there wasn't much time to come up with an idea and I had 2 kids to prepare for, we decided on Thing 1 and Thing 2 (The Cat in the Hat).

Easy enough. My kids each put on red pants (sweats and PJ's) and a long sleeve red shirt. My daughter even had some red crocs to wear. Since I didn't have any blue hair paint on hand, they settled for a blue beanie and headband. I traced 2 circles on white cardstock and wrote THING 1 & THING 2 and safety pinned them to the front of their shirts.

Their costumes were nothing crazy, but they were each happy to have a costume to wear. Next year I can hopefully plan for it better.

Some other quick and easy ideas I was also thinking to use as Dr. Seuss costumes are Horton:

and Daisy-Head Mayzie:

If your child has ever been an elephant for Halloween, reuse their costume for Horton. For Mayzie, stick a flower in the top of your child's hair and there you go!

Most people own a hat like the cat wears in The Cat in the Hat. (If you don't, you can find the directions to make one here.) Draw some whiskers on your child's face and have them go as the cat.
You could also easily become Mr. Brown from Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?  All you need to do is dress in all brown and stick a name tag on that says Mr. Brown.
The last quick and easy costume idea I thought of would be to go as Bartholomew Cubbins and safety pin a bunch of hats all over your clothes.

No comments: